HOTEL BARGES / ALEGRIA
Canal du Midi ?
The French Canal du Midi welcomes you to a luxurious and exclusive river cruise on board one of the most beautiful hotel barges, Alegria .
The Barge Alegria
ALEGRIA is a barge of the Freyssinet type, built in 1937 at a shipyard in Thuin, Belgium.
She was originally 38,5 meters long and 5,07 meters wide, designed for loads of 400 tons, but in 1999 the ship was converted to a houseboat and shortened to 29.37 meters (100 feet). Her present length now allows passage through the smaller locks of the famous Canal du Midi.
She is docked near Poilhes, a charming village on the Canal du Midi, 12 km from Beziers, 20 km from the Mediterranean Sea and close to Narbonne. You will either embark or disembark from this charming village that contains many remains from the Roman times.
Do not hesitate to enjoy the (heated!) pool after a warm afternoon... or just relax while enjoying some pre-dinner drinks on the sundeck.
Alegria hosts a maximum of four guests in two large cabins fitted with king size beds. Barge cruising offers a week of relaxation, gastronomy, excellent wines, fascinating culture, great landscapes and friendship with a warm nation. Every day is a new day of discoveries ... and of unexpected surprises!
The large lounge / dining room has two big portholes offering direct views of the Canal and its inhabitants: our friends the ducks and geese.
A home theatre with a selection of CDs will give you some added pleasure, as well as a selection of books and parlour games. We offer you internet access through the connection of a 3G USB key to your laptop.
The bar is well stocked with many of your favorite drinks, all of them offered to you. There is also a specific bar fridge and a coffee/tea making machine for your own use. The kitchen is either open onto the lounge or closed, depending on whether our chef will allow you to watch him prepare his secret dishes … but, don't despair, he sometimes does share his secrets with you!!!
For your important documents or anything of value, we have a safe.
Two large guest rooms with en-suite bathrooms, totaling between 18 and 20 sq m ( 190 to 210 sq ft) each, are located on the sides of the boat. These cabins each have two entrances: one leading directly outside to the front of the barge near the pool and another one opening inside to the lounge. This allows both intimacy and independence.
The rooms have large portholes which offer panoramic views of the Canal du Midi.
The cabins are fitted with king size beds that can be separated into single beds upon request. You will be supplied with bath robes, bath amenities (from the famous product line "L’Occitane en Provence") and a hair drier.
In your room, you'll also find a mini-fridge full of cool drinks and a tea & coffee tray with biscuits.
Both cabins have air conditioning. In the event of a cool night at the end of the season, the cabins are equipped with central heating, as are the bathrooms which are also fitted with heated towel rails.
Daily housekeeping is provided and we can propose a laundry service upon request.
Alegria is one of the latest barge launched on the Canal du Midi. She has quickly become one of the top barges available in the region. Her features are unique:
- A unique and modern look, very different from most of the other barges.
- The largest lounge for only four guests, with music and video.
- Almost the largest cabin sizes along the Canal (180 to 210 sq ft)…
- Beautiful cabins that are distinctive, light and bright.
- Intimacy and privacy thanks to two entrance doors from each cabin leading either directly to the outside of the barge or inside to the lounge.
- All the comfort offered by the best boats (air conditioning, central heating, heated towel rails, etc.) and even more: a mini fridge, a coffee and tea tray in each cabin.
- Large portholes that have been installed on the hull and that provide you with panoramic views at the level of the canal.
- A heated pool beautifully integrated in the superstructure of the barge
- A welcoming wheelhouse with its authentic 1937 wheel, teak woodwork and a typically Provencal floor
- and... a very dedicated crew of five led by the Captain-owner with a fully personalized service